The momentum of Surf's D&D Next Monster Analysis overflows into the 5e release and Surf pokes an analysis stick at D&D 5e Monsters...
I was fortunate enough to get access to part of the D&D 5e Starter Set several days in advance. The Appendix B: Monsters section from the Lost Mine Of Phandelver booklet is the key item of interest from a monster analysis perspective and with this in hand I was able to complete my initial analysis in very short order.
With the Starter Set released today it seemed like a good time to launch the 5e monster math articles!
Here's a quick map of what the series covers...
- Part 1: Starter Set Monsters
- Part 2: Construction: Before Building
- Part 3: Construction: CR & Size
- Part 4: Construction: Ability Scores & HP
- Part 5: Construction: AC & Other Attributes
- Interlude: A Bunch Of Monsters!
- Part 6: Construction: Traits & Spellcasting
- Part 7: Construction: Damage
- Part 8: Construction: Actions
- Part 9: Construction: Attack Bonus
- Part 10: Construction: CR Evaluation
- Part 11: Construction Consolidation
Keep in mind that this is an intended map. As things progress our course may alter, but don't worry I'll keep this index up to date!